An exciting position has become available for a Junior Tool Maker to join our friendly team based in Dorking, Surrey,
Primarily responsible for assisting in the smooth operation of the tool room and supporting tooling and engineering needs throughout the company.
Activities, Duties and Key Tasks
- Able to read and understand technical drawings.
- General machining and finishing components in the Toolroom using both CNC and conventional machines including milling, turning, grinding and EDM.
- Measurement and inspection using hand tools (verniers, micrometres, DTIs) and machines (CMM and shadowgraph)
- Repair, modification and maintenance of all injection and compression mould tools.
- Manufacture tooling and ancillary spares to support production activity and customer deadlines
- Design and manufacture of Jigs and fixtures.
- Attend breakdowns, identify fault and problem solve at the press with minimal downtime to aid production.
- Evaluate each job and determine if it can be repaired in press or must be removed to Tool Room for essential maintenance and repair work.
- Estimate length of time required to complete a job and likely consequences of failure to complete work within required timescales
- Report breakdown root causes, equipment faults and concerns to management
- Identify spares and consumable requirement and notify manager if need restocking
- Support new project tooling from commissioning stages through to start of production
- Support production departments with their milling/turning requirements, and other general engineering operations.
- Support the maintenance engineer with all general machining requirements.
- Keep up with current and developing manufacturing and engineering trends regarding tool making
- Contribute to the commitment to Health and Safety as required.
- Comply with Health and Safety, PPE and Environmental policies.
- To keep the tool room in a clean and tidy state.
- To challenge current practices where appropriate and suggest improvements.
- To be aware of tooling workload and prioritise
- To undertake any additional duties that may be asked of you by your line manager, and any other task that contributes to the smooth running of the department and company.
- Tooling experience – Essential
- Metrology experience – Essential
- Extensive knowledge and skills in general engineering – Essential
- Injection moulding knowledge – Desirable
- Lean Manufacturing knowledge – Desirable
- Very good attention to detail – Essential
- IT skills – Microsoft packages – Desirable
- CAD/CAM experience – Desirable
- Problem solving & analytical skills – Essential
- Proactive continuous improvement and can-do attitude – Essential
- Desire to progress and improve systems – Essential
- Flexibility – Essential
- BTEC lvl 3/ NVQ lvl 3 in engineering qualification – Essential
- Forklift experience – Desirable
How to apply
If you’d like to find out more about this opportunity and apply for the position, please send a copy of your CV and a short cover letter to Jo Davis (Managing Director) at email@example.com. We will aim to get back to you within 5 working days.
Thank you, we look forward to hearing from you.